您现在的位置是：부모와 아이 >>正文
New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
简介In a move to counter escalating copyright infringement issues, the South Korean government announced ...
In a move to counter escalating copyright infringement issues, the South Korean government announced on Tuesday a reward initiative for whistleblowers of pirate websites, offering up to 3 billion won ($2.2 million) in compensation. The initiative, jointly led by the Anti-corruption & Civil Rights Commission and the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, seeks to bolster efforts against illegal streaming and sharing that undermines the country's thriving digital content industry.
Individuals reporting illicit content sharing will be eligible for protection under the Public Interest Whistleblower Protection Act. In particular, insiders whose tips lead to successful prosecution or recovery of funds may receive financial rewards of up to 3 billion won each. Those involved in piracy may face reduced penalties for providing information.
Whistleblowers can submit their tips via the Anti-corruption Commission or the Korea Copyright Protection Agency websites, with the commission providing free legal assistance to those seeking anonymity.
With smash hit films and TV series and the country's online comics platform Webtoon operated by internet giant Naver gaining traction worldwide, South Korean entertainment has catapulted to the global mainstream in recent years. But as the industry's value grows, so does the risk of piracy and unauthorized distribution. In 2021 alone, piracy led to an estimated revenue loss of 850 billion won for Webtoon, amounting to half its total market share, according to Culture Ministry data.
Recent controversy surrounding Noonoo TV, the country's leading pirate streaming platform, brought the widespread and deep-rooted issue of systematic copyright theft to public attention. Accumulating 1.5 billion views for pirated content, the website is estimated to have caused billions of dollars in losses for legitimate broadcasters and platforms.
In response, a coalition of major broadcasters and platform businesses filed a criminal complaint against the domain, leading to its shutdown in April. The government has since launched a multi-agency task force to address piracy issues, but similar platforms have continued to emerge, distributing pirated content across various mediums.
- 부모와 아이
오세훈 서울시장이 16일 중구 서울시청에서 열린 국회 행정안전위원회의 서울시에 대한 국정감사에 출석해 의원들 질의에 답하고 있다. 뉴스1오세훈 서울시장이 “TBS를 없애버릴 생각인 ...
- 부모와 아이
Seoul shares opened higher Wednesday, tracking overnight gains on Wall Street, buoyed by dovish comm ...
- 부모와 아이
Korean science fiction writer Bae Myung-hoon on Wednesday emphasized the importance of bridging the ...
Beef prices have soared 100
Seoul shares open higher on US gains
Half of Loona restarts as quintet Loossemble
USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week
Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
[HIT Forum] Korea's only astronaut highlights humanity's connection with universe
- Samsung owns largest No. of Israeli subsidiaries among S. Korean conglomerates: report
- PM visits Greece for talks on cooperation, World Expo bid campaign
- Dansaekhwa master Park Seo
- N. Korea sent more than 1,000 containers of military equipment, munitions to Russia: White House
- [Photo News] 2023 Sea Art Festival returns to Busan's Ilgwang Beach
- [Herald Interview] Samuel Youn celebrates career in ‘From Darkness to Light’
- [Herald Interview] Dyson engineer stresses potential of Korean hair care market
- 'Basel Night' at Swiss Embassy in Seoul heralds Basel's cultural legacy
- “北, 무단철거 금강산 골프장서 옥수수 건조”
- Seoul to implement alert system to manage overcrowded areas
- [Herald Interview] 'UN peacekeeping forces need better gender equity'
- Opposition leader Lee attends arrest warrant hearing at Seoul court
- ‘Do you know Dr. Hong?’ Moms say they wish they didn’t
- [사진] 영장심사 마친 이재명, 묵묵부답
- Intangible cultural heritage exhibitions, performances head overseas
- S. Korean fencer Oh Sang
- The Korea Herald to hold space forum on Oct. 11
- Revamped Genesis GV80 and first coupe sibling unveiled
- Immersive, digital art shows to enjoy during extended holiday
- Hyundai Steel to showcase low
- S. Korean ambassador says stronger Russia
- Trilateral talks open on Korea
- S. Korea holds rare military parade, warns NK against nuclear attack
- BTS agency likely to face tougher disclosure rules