Foreign workers' deaths get weak sanctions
简介A total of 187 fatal occupational incidents involving E-9 foreign workers occurred during the period ...
A total of 187 fatal occupational incidents involving E-9 foreign workers occurred during the period from 2021 until June, and only one company was banned from foreign hiring, data showed Tuesday.
The company that was punished -- a marine industry employer -- received a three-year hiring ban as a result of criminal penalties, according to Labor Ministry data gathered by Rep. Lee Joo-hwan, a member of the ruling People Power Party.
Of all 187 cases involving E-9 visa holders' occupational deaths, 39 were still under investigation by police, the data also showed. Lee's office released the number of deadly incidents but did not disclose the number of deaths.
Before a 2022 revision of the Act On The Employment Of Foreign Workers, there were no specific rules to ban employers responsible for workplace fatalities from hiring workers on E-9 visas, regardless of other criminal punishment.
Instead, hiring suspensions were limited to those who violated immigration rules.
The slow progress in strengthening law enforcement to improve the working conditions for foreign workers on E-9 visas -- who come from 16 countries in Southeast Asia and Central Asia to work in manufacturing, construction, and farming -- highlighted the laxity of legal actions on the foreigner hiring rule violators, the first-term lawmaker said.
Lee also suggested that, of 6,754 employers inspected by the Labor Ministry from 2021 until June this year, 3,352 companies -- or half of the inspected -- had violated the rules.
Violators committed over a combined 13,000 violations, according to the data, and 99 of them resulted in the suspension or cancellation of their permission to hire foreign workers. Four led to criminal procedures, and 117 were issued penalty charges.
But 97 percent of violations were handled with nonbinding correction orders.
"Actions must be taken to make sure that foreign workers are not discriminated in the area beyond our legal framework," Lee said in a statement.
"Most (foreigner hiring rule) violators end up getting correction orders, so this leads to calls to strengthen penalty on the violators."
Meanwhile, the Yoon Suk Yeol administration is looking to act more aggressively to address the labor shortage nationwide in part due to the demographic shift and Koreans' preference for white-collar jobs over manual jobs, by inviting more foreigners to the country through work visas like E-9.
The government announced plans in August to increase the quota for E-9 visa workers to 120,000 by the end of next year. That is more than double the 2020 figure of 56,000.
The number of foreigners entering the country with E-9 visas has been rising sharply over the past few years.
Lee released Labor Ministry figures showing that from January to July, the number of people entering Korea with E-9 visas came to some 63,000, implying an uptrend compared with the 2022 annual figure of 88,012. The 2022 figure is higher than 51,365 in 2019, 6,688 in 2020 and 10,501 in 2021.
일본 정부가 구매 의사를 밝힌 미국산 토마호크 미사일. AFP=연합뉴스북한은 일본이 장거리미사일 조기 배치를 비롯해 미사일 방어 및 반격 능력을 강화하겠다는 계획을 밝힌 것에 대해 ...
SEJONG-- Yu In-chon's Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism will continue the legacy of stren ...
SK Ecoplant announced Monday that its Singaporean unit TES-AMM has processed and recycled over a cum ...
- 김성원 여의도연구원장 "공천장사 지라시, 허위사실 유포로 고소"
- SK Ecoplant recycles over 6,000 tons of batteries
- Korea extends fuel tax cut scheme until year's end
- Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
- Gyeongbokgung entrance platform, new signboard unveiled
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains after Fed comments
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul
- Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
- S. Korea logs current account surplus for 4th month in August
- Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
- Trend forecaster Kim Ran
- Samsung SDI, Stellantis to set up 2nd JV plant in Indiana
- [New on scene] Kim Chang
- 218 Koreans head home from Israel: Foreign Ministry
- [HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
- SK invests in US data specialist Glassdome
- Hyundai Glovis to go net
- 임명직 마다한 장제원 의미심장 글 "발톱 숨기고 때 기다린다"
- Doosan Robotics shares debut at double IPO price
- 국민의힘 “김태우 재산신고 관련 가짜뉴스, 방심위에 신고”
- Jarasum Jazz Fest to kick off Friday
- 한중 축구, 다음선 중국 응원이 91%…‘차이나 게이트’ 논란
- Hyundai Ioniq 7 may start production in July next year
- 1 in 4 foreign workers earn more from unemployment benefits than from work
- Wavve’s ‘The Deal’ to expand into 200 countries
- Apple under fire for ‘overpriced’ iPhones
- [Herald Interview] When ‘comedy freak’ filmmaker makes rom
- [Herald Interview] Kim Nam
- 與, 김행 여가장관 후보 청문회 불참 기류…"일방적이고 위법적"
- SK On marks 2nd anniversary with twofold revenue, capacity growth
- Blackpink's Jennie to drop new solo single on Oct. 6