Seoul subway on verge of strike
简介Tensions are rising over the potential for a strike by Seoul Metro workers, as labor and management ...
Tensions are rising over the potential for a strike by Seoul Metro workers, as labor and management negotiations remain at an impasse.
Voting on a November strike began Thursday, with results to be announced Monday.
Earlier, Seoul Metro, which operates Seoul Subway Line Nos. 1 to 8 and partially operates Line No. 9, conducted 10 rounds of negotiations with a collective negotiating team representing workers, since the first meeting on July 11, but all discussions eventually collapsed.
On Oct. 4, the collective negotiation team applied for mediation by Seoul National Labor Relations Commission on the dispute. The commission is tasked with investigating the facts and making recommendations when labor unions or employers in a labor dispute seek mediation due to breakdowns in negotiations.
The commission, management and labor will hold a meeting Tuesday to seek a resolution. If the strike ballot passes and no resolution can be found, the union will announce a November strike at a press conference the following day, with a general membership meeting to follow Thursday.
Staff cuts are the main point of contention. Management, facing a substantial deficit, asserts that reducing manpower is unavoidable.
The net losses of Seoul Metro marked 1.13 trillion won ($825 million) in 2020, 964.4 billion won in 2021 and 642 billion won in 2022. Management proposed a plan to cut 2,211 employees -- 13.5 percent of the total workforce -- by 2026 to overcome the deficit.
The labor union criticized the plan, saying management is passing the responsibility for the deficits onto workers, and pointed out that excessive reduction of manpower could lead to safety concerns.
Meanwhile, Seoul Metro signed a mandatory maintenance agreement with negotiators -- an agreement that would allow employers to ask workers to return to work in the event of a natural disaster or an emergency -- on Sept. 25, to prepare against possible emergencies.
In a move to counter escalating copyright infringement issues, the South Korean government announced ...
김정은 북한 국방위원장의 여동생 김여정(왼쪽), 최선희 외무상(가운데), 현송월 선전선동부 부부장이 각각 가방을 든 모습. NK뉴스, 조선중앙통신북한 김정은 국방위원장의 러시아 방 ...
Korea's intangible cultural heritage is to be showcased overseas in special events being held i ...
- Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
- [Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
- BTS agency likely to face tougher disclosure rules
- Scholarships to begin in October for Ukrainian students in S. Korea
- Yoon lauds rapid growth of Korean defense industry
- XG storms back with 'New DNA'
Yoon lauds rapid growth of Korean defense industry
Scholarships to begin in October for Ukrainian students in S. Korea
British MP hopes for enhanced UK
北주민 굶어 죽어도…김여정 디오르, 최선희는 구찌 '명품 사랑'
163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
House ownership widens wealth gap between young and old
- First frost and ice observed, but warmer weather will return
- 홍익표, 체포안 가결파 징계에 “총선 승리 도움 기준으로 판단”
- 김건희, 제주도서 갈치 시식하며 “수산물 소비 활성화 최선”
- S. Korea finishes 3rd with 42 gold medals at Hangzhou Asian Games
- 문재인 "부동산 정책, 초유 상황에 실책…신뢰 잃어 뼈아프다"
- Film director Jung Byung
- Stray Kids to release new album 'Rock
- 문재인 "부동산 정책, 초유 상황에 실책…신뢰 잃어 뼈아프다"
- ‘Art in Series’ embraces autumn delights
- BIFF expands award categories beyond Asian content to global titles
- [Herald Interview] Monte
- [HIT Forum] Sci
- HD Hyundai Shipbuilding invests $47m in Estonian fuel cell for green maritime energy
- [HIT Forum] 'Korea ready to become aerospace powerhouse'
- [Today’s K
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad
- 218 Koreans head home from Israel: Foreign Ministry
- Aespa to return with 4th EP ‘Drama’ next month
- N. Korea may conduct nuclear test to divert internal attention from food crisis: Seoul ministry
- [Korean History] In 2003's Daegu, disaster plays out underground
- [HIT Forum] Korea's only astronaut highlights humanity's connection with universe
- Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul
- 윤 대통령 “중동 리스크 대응, 민생에 전력 다해야”
- LG CNS launches new AI platform for corporate clients