S. Korea entering 'recovery phase' amid geopolitical uncertainties: Choo
简介The South Korean economy is entering a "recovery phase" on the back of signs of an export rebound, w ...
The South Korean economy is entering a "recovery phase" on the back of signs of an export rebound, while the geopolitical tension from the Middle East is emerging as a new uncertainty, the finance minister said Sunday.
"We believe that chips are gradually supporting exports again," Finance Minister Choo Kyung-ho said during a meeting with reporters held on the margins of the annual International Monetary Fund and the World Bank meetings in Marrakesh, western Morocco.
"There is an industry outlook that (exports) of chips have hit the nadir and are recovering gradually. The trend will become clearer in the fourth quarter as well as 2024," Choo said. "The key point is that it seems the economy is beginning to enter a recovery phase."
The remark came after South Korea's exports fell for the 12th consecutive month in September but logged the smallest on-year decline so far this year, as global demand for semiconductors has been on the recovery track.
The finance minister added that other major economic indicators, including inflation and employment, also suggest a brighter outlook on the South Korean economy.
"Major economies are currently experiencing inflation rates of approximately 5 to 6 percent, whereas South Korea's figures hover around the 2 to 3 percent range," Choo said, highlighting that the employment rate is also at a historically high level.
Concerning the IMF's decision to cut the growth forecast of Asia's No. 4 economy by 0.2 percentage point next year, Choo said it is notable that the updated estimate still hovers above those of major advanced nations, including the U.S. and Japan.
"As long as the Middle East issue does not weigh down on our economy, it will improve in general down the road," Choo said. "South Korea is gradually moving out of the tunnel."
The IMF cut its growth projection for South Korea for 2024 to 2.2 percent from the earlier forecast of 2.4 percent as the faltering Chinese economy and the sluggish manufacturing sector have slowed down the global economy.
Nevertheless, the finance minister said that it is still too early to declare that all uncertainties have disappeared in light of the escalating Israel-Hamas conflict.
"(The conflict) can affect the global prices of raw materials and oil. So far, there are some partial responses from the market, but the issue is currently giving only limited impacts," Choo said.
The finance minister said the government is closely monitoring the situation and its impact on the economy and exports.
"If (global oil prices) remain at their current levels, the trend of consumer prices is not expected to undergo significant changes through the end of this year," Choo stated. "However, if they become highly volatile, this could have an impact on consumer prices." (Yonhap)
South Korean stocks got off to a strong start Tuesday tracking overnight gains on Wall Street.The be ...
13일 김정은 북한 국무위원장과 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령의 회담에 대해 14일 북한 매체들은 “(단독 정상회담에서)만족한 합의와 견해 일치를 봤다”고 보도했다. 김정은이 푸틴 ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장이 13일 러시아 보스토치니 우주기지에서 블라디미르 푸틴 대통령과 정상회담, 연회 등 일정을 진행한 뒤 다음 방문지를 향해 떠났다고 노동당 기관지 노동신문이 ...
S. Korea, US, Japan install trilateral communication hotline amid N. Korea, China challenges
합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
[이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
한동훈, 체포안 설명 8분 넘기자…“짧게 합시다” “왜 이리 시끄럽냐”
[Contribution] Why hope matters in climate crisis
FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
- Hana Financial signs MOU with Saudi Arabia's EXIM bank to expand cooperation
- Benois de la Danse winner Kang Mi
- Broadcom to appeal S. Korean regulator's fine over unfair Samsung Electronics deal
- Seoul shares tumble to 5
- [Herald Interview] As a wanderer, Yoshitomo Nara does not confine himself to art
- N. Korea scheduled to hold key parliamentary meeting following Kim
- 러 무기 만져보고 타보고...김정은 '북·러 합작' 도발 메뉴 내놓나
- Yoon's approval rating edges up after 6
- [사진] 용산 팔도장터 찾아 떡메치기
- Yoon's approval rating edges up after 6
- NK sports broadcast labels S. Korea ‘puppets'
- BIFF expands award categories beyond Asian content to global titles
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- Chief justice nominee Lee Gyun
- Netflix to release ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ in November
- SPAF kicks off with boundary
- Seoul shares close tad higher ahead of key US jobs data
- Gwanghwamun's Joseon
- [Hello Hangeul] Korean language instructors' working conditions remain subpar
- Unification ministry urges NK to immediately send detained S. Koreans back home
- 외교부, 이스라엘 전역 여행경보 ‘특별여행주의보’ 발령
- Satellite imagery highlights 'dramatic' increase in N. Korea
- S. Korea sweeps up 2 gold medals at stake in recurve team events