S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
简介South Korea has joined a key donor group of the International Committee of the Red Cross for the fir ...
South Korea has joined a key donor group of the International Committee of the Red Cross for the first time after making major contributions last year, the humanitarian organization said Sunday.
The country was recently included in the ICRC's 2023 Donor Support Group, which consists of donors contributing more than 10 million Swiss francs ($11 million) a year, after it contributed 10.5 million Swiss francs to the ICRC last year, according to the ICRC's office in Seoul.
Other than South Korea, the ICRC's major donor group for this year also includes 20 other countries, such as the United States, Germany and Switzerland, as well as the European Commission.
As a member of the donor group, South Korea will be able to take part in high-level talks with the ICRC on its policies and projects, raising expectations for Seoul's possible involvement in the ICRC's projects in North Korea.
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ICRC operated an office with 11 personnel in Pyongyang for various humanitarian projects, such as those on health, sanitation, physical rehabilitation and demining efforts.
The organization has yet to send its personnel back to North Korea after it pulled them out after the reclusive country implemented strict border restrictions against the pandemic in early 2020. (Yonhap)
Seoul's Daehangno district was brimming with visitors on Sunday for the opening of "2023 Welcom ...
Seoul-based private equity firm MBK Partners Founder and Chairman Michael Byung-ju Kim has offered a ...
이준석 전 국민의힘 대표가 16일 서울 강서구청장 보궐선거 참패와 관련해 윤석열 대통령과 여당에 변화와 쇄신을 촉구하며 눈물을 흘렸다.이 전 대표는 이날 국회 소통관에서 기자회견을 ...
- S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
- Mirae Asset continues to lead domestic equity ETF market
- "가리비 8m 천장까지 쌓였다"…단 한달만에 日 타격 입힌 中
- [Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
- LG Chem pivots to LFP with Huayou for Morocco plant
- Russian FM to visit Pyongyang next month as follow
- PM departs for China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- Golden apples: Why fruit prices are national issue in early autumn
- Seoul shares close lower amid woes over Fed's drawn
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
- Biz outlook stays flat for October amid slowing economy
- Orchestra composed of players with visual impairment to perform Oct. 4
- Young swimmer enjoys self
- Trilateral talks open on Korea
- XG storms back with 'New DNA'
- Manpower Korea’s unique approach to reference checks
- Is S. Korea dangerous for women?
- Nam June Paik Art Center to be led by new director Park Nam
- British MP hopes for enhanced UK
- [Korean History] Divided Koreas hold first
- Do professors in Korea have too much power over students?
- Seoul shares snap 4
- Opposition leader Lee attends arrest warrant hearing at Seoul court
- Seoul prepares for first major military parade in ten years